It’s movie night with your friends and you have already seen the latest Blockbuster action-adventure movie and, let’s be honest, if you have seen one romantic comedy, you have seen them all… so what about something different? How about a movie that makes you think?
Everyone loves a plot twist—those are the best types of movies. You think you have everything figured out and then BAM! Something crazy happens out of nowhere and your mind is completely blown. Not only did you enjoy the time you spent watching that movie, but now you get to think about and talk about it with your friends even after the credits finish rolling.
Movies that actually pull off a successful plot twist are few and far between—but the ones that succeed are incredible. Here is a short list of movies with plots that will engage your mind.
Some simply have interesting and different plots, some have crazy endings, and some just have deep content (Read: 8 Movies About Time Travel That Make You Think). No matter what, they will be sure to engage your mind and keep you on the edge of your seat.
- The Usual Suspects (1995). This is an older movie, but it is fantastic. The plot is engaging and the movie is fast-paced with a good mixture of comedy and action. The movie itself is so good that by the time you get to the end, you aren’t even necessarily ready for the plot twist that actually happens—but get ready, because it will be sure to shock you! This is one of those movies that as soon as it is over, you will want to watch it again because the ending changes everything. Get ready to be amazed.
- Inception (2010). Although Inception is a pretty recent film, it is already a classic for this genre. This is a movie with an amazing premise that also has a plot that keeps you guessing about what will happen next. From the very first scene, you will be dying to figure out what is going on—luckily they explain things…well, they explain most things. This is another movie that you will immediately want to re-watch once you get to the ending. Be ready to get into a lot of discussions with you friends about this one!
- The Sixth Sense (1999). For those that are more interested in thrillers, The Sixth Sense is perfect movie for you. Although the story line is a little scary, it is engaging enough to keep you more interested in what is actually happening. The plot twist at the end will completely catch you by surprise, so be ready to pick up your jaw after it falls on the floor.
- The Matrix (1999). Although this movie doesn’t necessarily have insane plot twists at the end or a deceiving story line, it is definitely a thinking movie. This is the type of movie that will just leave you wondering, “what if life was like that?” The movie is also an exciting movie because of the action/adventure element. If you are wanting a deeper movie, but you aren’t wanting to have to keep up with the twists and turns of a plot, this is the perfect movie for you.
- The Exam (2002). This movie is a one hundred percent “figuring out” type of movie. The Exam is an interesting version of this type of movie though because the characters in the movie are trying to answer the exact same question you are trying to answer—and you don’t have any more information than they do. It is very engaging because it is like you are actually one of the characters in the movie.
- Cloud Atlas (2012). Although this movie is a little lengthy, it is definitely worth your time. Cloud Atlas is a beautiful movie, and it is also incredibly complex. There are many different layers to the plot and the characters that are confusing for a pretty good portion of the movie—you will probably want to watch it at least twice. This is also a very deep movie philosophically—you will be thinking about life questions for a while after it ends. This movie has romance, action and adventure, and an incredible plot. If this sounds like the genre of movie you love, Cloud Atlas will be one of your new favorite movies.
- The Number 23 (2007). This movie is definitely a thriller and has a little bit of an eerie element to it. The Number 23 is full of plot twists and mind games and you will definitely be surprised by the ending. This is a great movie to watch if you are in the mood for a scary movie, but not one that is super gory or just pure terror. It is a great balance between thriller and deeper thinking.
- The Prestige (2006). To say that the ending of this movie will shock you is definitely an understatement. If you love surprise endings, you will adore this movie. This is a fantastic film because the story line is very interesting and the dynamics of the characters are amazing. This movie has elements of magic in it, so prepare yourself for a lot of unanswered questions!
- Fight Club (1999). This is a classic. Not only does this movie have a huge plot twist at the end, but it also raises a lot of questions and thoughts just within the story line. You will get a sense that something is a little off from the very beginning, but you will not know exactly what it is until the ending completely takes you by surprise. It is definitely worth your time to check out this movie. And if you like the movie, than you should definitely check out the book! (Read: 10 Easy-to-Understand Books that Will Make You Smarter)
- The Trance (1998). This movie is not what it seems when you first start it. At first, it appears to be just another action/adventure movie; however, the deeper you get into it, the more you realize that there is something going on that isn’t being said. You will be hooked trying to figure out what is actually going on, and then you will be completely surprised when all is revealed.
- The Truman Show (1998). To end on a lighter note, check out this satirical film. This is more of a comedy movie, but it definitely makes you think about life and society. This would be a great movie for a lighter mood, but still facilitating some deeper conversations with you’re friends. Follow the journey of Truman to see that all is not what it seems.