It’s been one of those days. You’re exhausted, you’re stressed, you’re overwhelmed—you just need a good pick-me-up. Sure there are dozens of different ways you can overcome stress and worry (Read: Free Yourself From Stress in 9 Easy Ways), but one of the easiest is by listening to music.
Simply grab a pair of headphones or the nearest speakers and blast these tunes to get rid of those despairing negative feelings. There is just something about a catchy, fun rhythm that people can’t help but feel better when they hear it.
The song is even more effective when the lyrics speak to life’s struggles and send a message about looking on the bright side of things. People like hearing other people tell them it will be OK, and getting positive lyrics stuck in their heads often helps them through difficult times.
Here are some songs that can energize and refresh you! Get ready to have a good day!
- “Walking on Sunshine” – Katrina and the Waves. First of all, there is “sunshine” in the name, so it has to be good, right? This song is so upbeat even without listening to the lyrics! The music is happy music, though the lyrics definitely contribute to the overall “feel” of this song. Basically, the song is about a person who questioned love but then found out that they are indeed loved by the person they are interested in. What could be more uplifting then that? So the “walking on sunshine” line is there because, after they hear this news, they are so happy that they feel as if they are walking on sunshine. This song is guaranteed to brighten up even the cloudiest of days!
- “Beautiful Day” – U2. This song by U2 is very energizing because of the pace of the music. If you need to be eased into the exciting part of an upbeat song, this one is for you! The chorus is encouraging because it says, “It’s a beautiful day, don’t let it get away.” When everything is not going as planned this is a good song to listen to because it focuses on what is good and beautiful in the present despite a difficult past or an unsure future.
- “Firework” – Katy Perry. Not only is the music in this song just plain fun, but the lyrics are also very sympathetic! Katy Perry starts off by addressing very common feelings in the verses and then lights up the choruses with a ton of encouragement! It is a reminder that you are worth something and that you can show everyone around you how awesome you are even if you are feeling unnoticed and unappreciated. It is also just fun to belt out in the car!
- “Perfect Day” – Hoku. The title of this song really speaks for itself. The chorus is really more of an anthem, declaring, “It’s a perfect day, nothing’s standing in my way, nothing can go wrong!” When you are feeling a little blue, this song is a great reminder that today can be the perfect day—and nothing makes a day better like a catchy tune!
- “Sexy and I Know It” – LMFAO. Sometimes you just need a little reminder that you are sexy and awesome and this song is that reminder. This is a great song to give you a confidence boost and it is so much fun to sing along with and dance like crazy to! Although it is a rather silly song, it is definitely energizing and will be sure to raise your spirits!
- “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” – Wham! The music in this song is so much fun. As soon as it comes on, you will find yourself either snapping your fingers or at least bobbing your shoulders up and down. The lyrics are fun as well, mostly talking about the love that the other person infuses the singer’s life with. The words are fun and playful—just like the tune! This song is happy even if you don’t know the lyrics so go ahead and blare it and dance around.
- “What Dreams Are Made Of” – Hilary Duff. Let’s be honest, most songs about dreams are pretty happy songs, and this one by Hilary Duff is no different! The chorus boasts, “I’ve got somewhere I belong, I’ve got somebody to love; this is what dreams are made of!” This is a great reminder of what is truly important in life, so when you are feeling overwhelmed by all the pressures and responsibilities of life, this is a great song to jam out to!
- “I Got You (I Feel Good)” – James Brown. This is a classic! As soon as it comes on, you can’t help but to sing along—even if you only know a couple of lines! If you are having a bad day, sometimes it can help just to tell yourself that you do actually feel good—maybe you can even convince yourself it is true! The lyrics in this song are sweet and the upbeat sounds of the saxophone make the tune a lot of fun.
- “Come Fly With Me” – Frank Sinatra. Frank Sinatra has an enchanting voice, so you are already off to a good start with this song. The lyrics are whimsical and dreamy—they help you “get away.” In the song, many exotic locations are mentioned and the idea is that the lovers want to travel somewhere together. This song will help you escape the mundane, even if it is only for a couple of minutes!
- “Home” – Phillip Phillips. This is a great reminder that, in the midst of uncertainty, fear, and life in general, you are not alone. Sometimes you can feel like you are fighting all of the battles of your life all by yourself. This song encourages you to remember that no matter what happens, you are not alone—you have someone who loves you fighting with you.
- “Party Rock Anthem” – LMFAO. “Party Rock Anthem” gives away the theme in the title. It is definitely an anthem: “Everybody just have a good time!” When you need to just stop for a minute and give yourself a break, blast this song and dance your heart out! You will most likely feel a lot better after your mini dance party. The music is so much fun that you can’t help but get drawn in. Give this song a shot when you are feeling down because you will undoubtedly be energized after it’s over!
- “The Middle” – Jimmy Eat World. Thank you, Jimmy Eat World, for such an amazing, uplifting song! Not only is the music in this song amazing, but the lyrics alone would make you feel better! Even if you only listen to the first verse, you should feel better about yourself: “Hey, don’t write yourself off yet, it’s only in your head you feel left out or looked down on. Just try your best… and don’t worry what they tell themselves when you’re away.” The chorus proceeds to scream out that “everything will be just fine!” This song is sure to make you feel better any personal insecurities or troubles you are dealing with.