Fall—the most wonderful time of the year!
It’s finally time for making bonfires, roasting marshmallows, planning for Halloween and Thanksgiving, and taking in the beauty of the changing leaves. There are pumpkins to be picked, crunchy leaves begging to be stepped on, and hot drinks to sip on!
Of course this cool weather also means that there is a whole new wardrobe to enjoy. We get to break out (or go buy more of) the boots and sweaters—how exciting!
Fall is a great time for fashion because it is still cool enough that you don’t have a bulky coat covering up your cute outfit all the time but you still get to layer your clothes. Layering is how you can make or break an outfit.
Follow these tips for cool weather clothing to get a jump start on your fall fashion!
- Skinny Jeans. You’ve got to start with a great pair of pants for any good outfit—and we are starting with skinny jeans! There are many different types and colors of skinny jeans so get ready to drop some money on this must have item. Grab a dark wash, maybe a pair of jeggings (jean leggings), some khakis, and even some fun colors to spice up an outfit—whatever you decide on, just know that you will definitely get your money’s worth out of this purchase because you can wear them with everything. They look great with boots, flats, or even heals. You can throw a big sweater on or a whimsical blouse—even a simple shirt/cardigan combination—and you have an adorable fall outfit! When shopping for fall clothes, make sure your first purchase is a good, reliable pair of skinny jeans.
- Dresses with Tights. Yet another comfortable fall fashion trend, wearing a dress with tights will be one of your favorite styles this fall! This look can be paired with boots or flats—either way it is adorable. This is also a great option because you can pull some of your summer dresses and turn them into fall outfits—especially the neutral or solid colors! Wrap yourself up in a cardigan, throw on a scarf, and toss your hair up into a bun—you have the perfect making for a fall outfit that is still ultra feminine because of the pretty dress underneath it all!
- Cardigans. Cardigans are one of the best items for trendy, fall fashion! They are great for layering because you can find cardigans that are not too hot to wear under a jacket. Also, cardigans can add a pop of color to a more neutral outfit without being overwhelming. Cardigans can be worn over and over again because you can pair them with different pants and shirts. If you are going to invest in only a couple of fall clothing items, you will get your money’s worth out of purchasing cardigans!
- Pea Coats. One of the best parts about the weather getting cooler is that you can officially wear jackets!! Pea coats are a must have for the fall and winter weather. This is one of those items that you might have to spend a little more money on. However, it is definitely worth it to get a good quality coat that will last throughout the winter. Pea coats can come in different colors and shapes, so you can get a more form fitting one for a more feminine feel.
- Headware. Beanies are not just for boys! Hats are very trendy for girls this year. Loose beanies or headbands are not only functional but are also fashionable. They will keep you warm but they can also add a lot to an outfit. There are a lot of really cute knitted head bands with different patterns and accessories like flowers and bows. If you look long enough, you will find the perfect accessory for your fall fashion!
- Denim/Flannel. Denim and flannel shirts are very “in” this year—and the bigger, the better. Throwing a denim or flannel shirt over a t shirt is a great way to dress up a drab outfit. The bigger the shirt, the better the feel. Luckily, oversize things are very trendy right now, so you might be able to “borrow” (permanently) a shirt from your brother, dad, or boyfriend! You wouldn’t even have to buy a shirt to add something trendy to your wardrobe. A great way to still keep you feeling feminine in the midst of these bulky clothes is to tie a belt around the outside of your shirt at your waist. This will give you a more form-fitting look and will still be super comfortable!
- Scarves. Scarves are definitely going to be your best friend this fall—they are a must have for colder weather! This is a great chance to personalize your outfits. You can choose from so many different materials, patterns, and colors that you will end up with a wonderful collection of scarves by the end of the season!
- Big Sweaters. Luckily, this comfortable, cozy style is actually really trendy! Wearing an oversize sweater can feel like your wearing a blanket—what more could you ask for? Sweaters are great because you can wear them multiple times and create different looks. You can wear them with skinny jeans or a maxi skirt, you can pair it with a cute, bulky necklace or a scarf, you can roll the sleeves a little or leave them down—there are just so many good things about sweaters! The other great thing is that you can wear a sweater when the weather is cold enough to be chilly, but not cold enough for a coat—a sweater is the perfect compromise. And here is a secret: check thrift stores. You will most likely be able to find a lovely, warn, over-sized sweater that will be perfect for your fall wardrobe—and your wallet!
- Boots. Boots are one of the most fun parts of cold weather fashion because you can’t wear boots any other time of the year. When looking for boots, don’t settle for the first pair you find. Make sure that you get the right color, height, and material. If you look hard enough, you will find the perfect match for you!