Water—its so refreshing! Drinking a nice, cold glass of ice water on a hot day just can’t be beat. Add a little lemon and it is perfect. However, water is not just for hot days.
Water is our life source. If you don’t drink enough water, you are not going to be as healthy as you could be. Our bodies are made of over 60% water, so it is pretty important to stay hydrated.
Water is crisp, clean, and refreshing. It hydrates the body and stimulates the brain. Doctors recommend daily consumption and drinking water is always the first thing you should do when you are sick. With so many benefits, it is a wonder that most people never drink as much water as they should be.
However, sometimes drinking water can seem like a task because it seems so plain compared to other exciting drinks. When you have the choice of a delicious soda or some comforting sweet tea, why would you choose water?
Here are some reasons why water is the best drink for you, despite its simplicity.
- Your brain is 90% water. You definitely want your brain to be functioning as well as it possibly can. If your brain is working, the rest of your body will work better. Because your brain has such a high water content, it is crucial to stay hydrated. Drinking water can help to increase your energy and relieve fatigue. If you are feeling tired or struggling because of low energy levels, try a glass of water or two instead of a drink loaded with caffeine. Drinking water can also help to you to concentrate better and be more alert. Next time you are feeling a little groggy, try a glass of water—your brain will thank you!
- Promotes weight loss. Water has been the secret behind weight loss for years. There are a couple of reasons why water helps to melt those pounds away. Drinking water before a meal can make you feel more full, which will result in eating less during the meal. Water can also help to reduce hunger. Many times when you think you are hungry, you are actually just dehydrated. Drinking water can help to reduce hunger because you will stay hydrated. Not only is water a good alternative to other drinks because it has zero calories, but it can also actually increase your metabolism. An increased metabolism will help your body to burn more fat. If you are trying to drop a couple of pounds, start with drinking more water! (Read: Top 15 Killer Fat-Burning Exercises)
- Flushes out toxins. Sometimes your body needs some help flushing out toxins. One of the best ways to assist a cleanse is by drinking tons of water. There have actually been some suggestions that you should take your weight (in pounds), divide it by 2, and drink that many ounces of water a day. Drinking this much water in a day will help your body to flush out toxins through sweat. This will keep your body healthy!
- Pretty skin. Not all of the benefits of water go unseen. One of the benefits of drinking lots of water is pretty, healthy skin. Water helps to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized, which will result in less acne and less of a need for lotions. You will have a beautiful, clear complexion after adding water into your regime. Water also is the best anti-aging agent around! Drinking water can help prevent and reduce wrinkles. This benefit of water is encouraging because you can actually see the results after a couple of weeks. Instead of covering up your skin with make up, let your skin breathe because of your good water-drinking habits! (Read: Top 8 Foods for Healthy Skin)
- Headache relief. First of all, many headaches are the result of dehydration. Therefore, drinking water can prevent most headaches from happening in the first place. Also, because many headaches do stem from dehydration, drinking water can many times cure your headache. Water is not only good for headache relief, but it is also good for muscle tension in general. Drinking water can help your muscles relax because they need hydration in order to function well. Next time you are feeling sore or have a headache, try water instead of pain medication!
- Prevents cramps and sprains. Water can help to keep your joints working properly and your muscles elastic. This is very important for people that exercise frequently or have issues with joints. Water can help to ensure that your body is in the best possible shape and it can help to keep everything functioning smoothly. The best type of medicine is prevention, so be sure to drink a lot of water to keep your body from falling apart unnecessarily!
- Save money. Water is free! Even if you buy a bottle of water, it is usually going to be cheaper than getting another type of drink. For those on a budget, water is a good choice. When going to restaurants, drinks can add on unnecessarily to your bill. Not only is water a good, free alternative, but it also has way more health benefits than sodas have!
- Motivation for exercise. Have you been feeling sluggish? Have you been lacking motivation to work out? Try adding water into your diet and you will probably find yourself more motivated to exercise. Water will hydrate you, which will make exercise easier and more enjoyable. Also, water increases energy levels so you will be more willing to go expend energy. Drink water before exercising to motivate you; drink water during exercise to keep your muscles working well; drink water after exercise to prevent soreness. No matter what stage of exercise you are in, water will be sure to benefit you in the long run!
- Helps prevent sickness. Most of the time, the first string of advice for you when you get sick is “drink plenty of fluids.” If this is true while your sick, it should be true to prevent you from getting sick! Drinking fluids will help your cells functioning properly because it keeps the membranes elastic. When you have healthy cells, you have a healthy body. Also, because your body is over 60% water, drinking water will help ensure your organs will be functioning to their best ability.